14 Neal Award finalists highlight Industry Dive's COVID-19 coverage
Industry Dive’s publications are finalists for 14 Neal Awards this year -- one of the highest total numbers of finalists among the leading specialized information publishers who participate in the prestigious journalism awards program.
Industry Dive’s coverage of the pandemic’s impact on the business world was recognized throughout many of the nominations. BioPharma Dive, a publication that covered the historic race to develop coronavirus vaccines in the biotech and pharma industry, was named a finalist for five Neal Awards -- including Best Industry Coverage, Best Covid-19 Coverage, and Best News Coverage. Healthcare Dive, which covered the widespread impacts of the pandemic on healthcare providers, was also named a finalist for two Neal Awards -- Best Covid-19 Coverage and Best Covid-19 Subject-Related Package.
Our newsroom’s coverage of the national reckoning with racism, and how it affected the industries we cover, was also highlighted with two finalists. Our in-depth reporting on racism in the construction industry was nominated for Best Series, while our package of stories examining the lack of leadership diversity in the retail industry was named a finalist for Best Subject-Related Package.
In total, the 14 Neal Awards finalists represent double the number of finalists that Industry Dive had last year. In 2020, we won two Neal awards and were named second runner-up for the Grand Neal Award. In 2019, Industry Dive was a finalist for two Neal Awards, and won one. The 2021 winners will be announced at the Neal Awards Virtual Ceremony on June 9.
Broken down by publication, Industry Dive’s Neal Awards finalists are:
- Best Industry Coverage - overall coverage of the pharma and biotech industry
- Best News Coverage - A cure for hemophilia seemed closer than ever. For many patients, it's now further out of reach.
- Best Editorial Use of Data - How biotech and pharma companies pay their CEOs, and their workers
- Best Covid Coverage - Coronavirus vaccines are rolling out quickly. Here's where the pipeline stands.
- Best Single Article - Big pharma backed away from brain drugs. Is a return in sight?
- Best Series - Special report: How racism impacts construction
- Best Commentary / Blog - Pardon the Disruption
- Best Covid-19 Coverage - Nonprofit health systems — despite huge cash reserves — get billions in CARES funding
- Best Covid-19 Subject Related Package - 6 months in: The COVID-19 crisis
Higher Ed Dive
- Best Single Article - Is this the end for college admissions tests?
- Best Series - Mapping the rise of ghost kitchens
- Best Subject-Related Package - How much has executive diversity changed in retail?
- Best Subject Related Package - Toxic PFAS waste that lasts ‘forever’ poses financial, logistical challenges for landfills